[sudo-users] sudo and friends

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Thu Jan 18 11:01:21 EST 2007

Hi Jan,

This is extremely dangerous. Never ever authorize "vi" via sudo. "vi" offers the possibility of shell escapes. So from within "vi", users can issue any command they want. And since "vi" would run under root, you would give people unlimited root access!

Why not authorize these users for sudoedit?

The only thing you may want to prevent, when authorizing the use of sudoedit, is the possibility of editing files outside the /etc/samba directory. Consider the following line:
user ALL=/usr/bin/sudoedit /etc/samba/*
This would not prevent your colleagues from issuing the following command:
sudoedit /etc/samba/something /etc/passwd

We're exclusively authorizing sudo via LDAP over here (something I highly recommend), so I'm not very familiar with local sudo syntax, and I'm not really sure the following works. But you may try something like the following:
user ALL=/usr/bin/sudoedit /etc/samba/*
user ALL=!/usr/bin/sudoedit /etc/samba/* *

The sudoedit command may be located in a different directory than /usr/bin and you may have to change this directory in your local /etc/sudoers file. Always mention the full path to the binary, otherwise users could place a copy of "vi" (or any other command) in their homedirectory, rename this copy into sudoedit, and abuse their sudo rights.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / Nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits
ING