[sudo-users] sudo: uid XXXX does not exist in the passwd file!

rhatuk rhatuk66 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:04:27 EDT 2007

Hi Andreas,
I've the default RHEL4 config for the sudo which, if I'm not wrong, is
fwding the processing to the system-auth pam conf. (please see below)

/etc/pam.d/sudo
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_limits.so

/etc/pam.d/system-auth
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100
quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore]
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_access.so
accessfile=/etc/security/access.netgroup.conf

password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

I do have doubts about the system-auth pam conf, I couldnt find where the
getpwnam function will look for the password database...

Thanks for your help,

C.