[sudo-users] Error trying "make" in Sudo

Tiz sudo at tizatron.com
Tue Dec 16 15:29:48 EST 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:42:42 -0400, Todd C. Miller wrote:

 > In message <e8401e700805151129m9dc8266t65aafbbb29d636d3 at mail.gmail.com>
 > 	so spake "Valdemir Santos" (valdemirs):
 >
 >> IŽm receiving this message when trying "make" in solaris:
 >>
 >> solaris> make
 >>
 >> Undefined                       first referenced
 >>  symbol                             in file
 >> libintl_dgettext                    pam.o ld: fatal: Symbol referencing
 >> errors. No output written to sudo
 >
 > Someone else had this same issue but I've been unable to reproduce it
 > myself.  If you add -lintl to SUDO_LIBS it should link.

I know this is a dated post but I too have the same issue and cannot find a
solution.

I just downloaded version 1.6.9p19 and I am trying to compile sudo on my Solaris
10 machine using gcc4.

gcc -o sudo check.o env.o getspwuid.o gettime.o goodpath.o fileops.o find_path.o
  interfaces.o logging.o parse.o set_perms.o sudo.o sudo_edit.o  tgetpass.o
zero_bytes.o  sudo_auth.o pam.o sudo.tab.o lex.yy.o alloc.o defaults.o err.o
glob.o fnmatch.o memrchr.o snprintf.o getprogname.o -L/usr/local/lib
-R/usr/local/lib -lpam -ldl   -lintl -lsocket -lnsl
libintl_dgettext                    pam.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to sudo
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sudo'

I see that -lintl is added the build.

I installed SMCexpat, SMCgettxt, SMCliconv and SMClintl.  I pointed my configure
script to /usr/local/lib with...

configure \
	--with-editor=vi \
         --enable-static \