[sudo-users] Question on functionality

Michael Potter pottmi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:24:03 EST 2008

I am just thinking outloud here, but here are some ideas...

Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are after is not really
absolute security, but a way to help the dbas from doing something
"stupid".

Rather than renaming sudo, I would compile sudo with the #define
changed that defines the location of the sudoers file.  Then you would
rename the newly compiled sudo, to the hostname.  then you could
create a specific sudoers file for oracle work and leave the regular
sudoers files for system work.

You would not list the dbas in /etc/sudoers so they could not use sudo.

You may also want to consider NOT doing this with sudo.  You could
create a perl script that would do the checking you want and run the
command.  perl has outstanding support for setuid scripts (giyf: perl
taint mode).

For instance, in perl you could do things like check the time of day
and only allow commands to be run in production during certain times
of the day or when certain conditions are met.

--
Michael Potter