[sudo-users] sudo -u issue

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Mon Jun 2 14:54:51 EDT 2008

Hi, I just had a quick question. I've been looking into how to setup
sudo -u to allow some employees to run scripts as other users. The
problem is, I thought what I had setup was properly done based off all
all the docs and discussions I've seen, but I can not get it to
recognize NOPASSWD. Whenever sudo -u is invoked it prompts me, whereas
sudo alone does not. Here's an example of what I'm trying to do. Now in
this example I'm restricting the groups that people can run as, but with
or without that it does not make a difference, I still get prompted:

-----
Cmnd_Alias SCRIPT = /usr/local/bin/script
Runas_Alias SCRIPT_GROUPS = %11013

root ALL=(ALL) ALL

%skid ALL = (SCRIPT_GROUPS) NOPASSWD: SCRIPT
-----

Running this as myself works fine without a prompt, using -u prompts me
even though I am in our equivalent of wheel and attached to the root
group. I thought maybe it had something to do with that fact that I'm
trying to run as another user, but why considering I can su - or anyone
else without a password, and if I run the command without -u it works.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
-Dave

--