[sudo-users] Using sudo to grant access to one directory only

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Mon Mar 31 07:12:55 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 04:36:12PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to give full access to one user, to one directory only.
>
> Can that be done with sudo? (I guess not)
>
> Can you suggest a solution?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

Depending on the O/S and such, solution might be a bit different... but
filesystem permissions are generally different than sudo.  Either "chown"
the directory to them, or give the user their own group, or let sudo take
care of it with a sudo to a given user/group that owns or has write perms
to those files or the directory, etc...

Many O/S' (Solaris included) have ACLs that may work better for you when
you're dealing with simply filesystem issues...

Hope that's somehow helpful...

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

"Genius without education is like silver in the mine."
                                                     - Benjamin Franklin