[sudo-users] How to disable ( deny ) user to change the password of root

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Tue Nov 18 21:14:11 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 05:18:10PM -0800, Stephen Carville wrote:
> > [Preventing root passwd change using sudo]
>
> In truth, Gordon Messmer's suggestion is probably more secure.  The only
> change I'd make would be to embed the sudo command in the script.  Something
> like.
>
> [...]
>
> The give sudo permissions something like:
>
> SYSADM  MH = (ALL) /usr/bin/passwd -- [A-z0-1]*

Just "devil's advocate," caveat emptor, buyer beware and all that jazz...

This still doesn't prevent people from doing things such as:

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/passwd

...or other similar "nasty" things (the list is quite huge).  This also
presumes, of course, that the "typical" sudoers file allows more than it
prevents/excludes.

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities
 he excites among his opponents."                - Sir Winston Churchill