[sudo-users] sudo prompts for roots password

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Wed Sep 24 11:06:54 EDT 2008

In message <200809241444.m8OEiedv014886 at core.courtesan.com>
	so spake =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6rz=2C_Michael?= (Michael.Woerz):

> Sudo version 1.6.8p12
>  SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 (x86_64)
>
> I've noticed this strange behavior on a couple of systems. After joining an A
> ctive Directory Domain
> Sudo prompts for roots password  instead of the users tough this is not confi
> gured
> $ sudo -l
> root's password:
> User SPTMW01 may run the following commands on this host:
>     (ALL) ALL
> $grep rootpw /etc/sudoers
> - nothing-

SuSE configures sudo with the "targetpw" option which means that
it will prompt you for the password of the user you are running the
command as.

The default SuSE /etc/sudoers contains the following:

# In the default (unconfigured) configuration, sudo asks for the root password.
# This allows use of an ordinary user account for administration of a freshly
# installed system. When configuring sudo, delete the two
# following lines:
Defaults targetpw    # ask for the password of the target user i.e. root
ALL ALL=(ALL) ALL # WARNING! Only use this together with 'Defaults targetpw'!

If you want to change to normal sudo password behavior, you should
comment out both of those lines.