[sudo-users] Cache password at login?

Jamie Beverly jamie.beverly at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 09:30:55 EST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 3:29 PM, "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> wrote:

Pepijn Schmitz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to on the
Internet or in the sudo manual: is it possible to cache the password when I
log in?

I frequently log on to my Ubuntu server to perform some administrative
tasks. Every time I have to give my password to log in, and then immediately
give my password again to sudo. It would be nice if the login program, which
runs as root, could set my sudo timestamp somehow so that if I execute sudo
immediately after logging in it doesn't have to ask me for my password. Is
there a way to do this with login / sudo / some other tool?

setup the root account to authenticate via ssh keys.  login as root and bingo.

otoh, I'v always wondered why one can't use ssh keys for authentication for
sudo.  one login method for all access.

http://pamsshagentauth.sf.net