[sudo-users] Password required with option -i !?

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Tue Dec 29 08:45:32 EST 2009

In message <4B39D43F.6090703 at cs.rwth-aachen.de>
	so spake =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stefan_G=F6tz?= (stefan.goetz):

> When using the -i option, sudo (v. 1.7.0) unexpectedly asks for a
> password - any ideas why?
>
> My goal is to run firefox as the (existing) user firefox in my X session
> running as the user goetz.

The problem is that when you run a command with "sudo -i" what sudo
actually does is run "user_shell -c command".  That is why the
NOPASSWD flag is not working for you.  If you look in the logs you
should see the exact command sudo is running.

If user firefox has /bin/bash as its shell the following should work:

goetz  ALL = (firefox) NOPASSWD: /bin/bash -c firefox