[sudo-users] Force sudo to source environment file before running a command.

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Tue Oct 20 12:10:42 EDT 2009

In message <dc3ecf560910200731g698f4dcdua4ae6a954c7ede3c at mail.gmail.com>
	so spake Techie (techchavez):

> Is it possible to force sudo to source a users environment file or any
> environment file with "env_file" while running a command.
> I have set a User_alias, Runas_Alias, Cmnd_Alias, and user privilege
> for a user as follows.
>
> User_Alias TSTU = techie
> Runas_Alias TSTA = operator
> Cmnd_Alias TSTCMD = <commands to run>
>
> TSTU ALL = (root) TSTCMD, (TSTA) <commands that need environment>
>
> So all the commands defined in the TSTCMD Cmnd_Alias will be run as
> root.. However for the commands run by the TSTA Runas_Alias AKA the
> operator user...I need to source an environment file. This file is a
> bash style environment file with statements like.
>
> export FAVCOLOR=red
> export DOG=boxer
>
> Can I use the env_file parameter to accomplish this?  If so please
> provide a syntax example. From the manpage it says it is possible but
> no example.

If what you want is to have env_file apply to any command run as
TSTA, then this should do it:

Defaults>TSTA env_file=/path/to/env/file
TSTU ALL = (root) TSTCMD, (TSTA) <commands that need environment>

If you want to apply env_file to the commands themselves,
regardless of who they are running as:

Cmnd_Alias TSTACMD = <commands that need environment>
Defaults!TSTACMD env_file=/path/to/env/file

TSTU ALL = (root) TSTCMD, (TSTA) TSTACMD

In all cases you need to be running sudo 1.7.2 to support bash-style
environment files.