[sudo-users] cannot sudo after short time - ldap/nis configuration

Jason Hamilton jhamilton at simulexinc.com
Tue Oct 20 14:17:07 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've not been very successful finding a fix for this on google, so any
help is appreciated.

Running centos 5, with sudo "sudo-1.6.9p17-3.el5_3.1". The system is
configured with ldap/nis and sudoers_base is also configured through
LDAP. Everything works great upon initial login, I can 'sudo' whatever
and it works - then a little while later - maybe 5 minutes, I get:

me at foo:[12:03:36 PM]~$ sudo ls
sudo: uid 1000 does not exist in the passwd file!
me at foo:[12:04:25 PM]~$

now, if I run "getent passwd me"
the system looks at ldap, and gives me the user data and then sudo works
again.

I'm running nscd on the system and it appears to be working properly. Is
there something that I'm missing? I don't really want to run 'getent' in
a cron or some other hinky workaround.

Thanks for any tips.