[sudo-users] !env_reset clobbering environment

Joe Keller joseph.w.keller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:09:15 EST 2010

I am using sudo-1.7.2p1-7.el5_5.i386.rpm and have a strange issue where it
looks like sudo is clobbering the PERL5LIB environment variable.  I have
"Defaults !env_reset" in my /etc/sudoers file and have the following test
script:

$ cat echo-env.tst
#!/bin/bash
echo $PERL5LIB

If I run the script outside of sudo, I get the expected value but if I sudo
the script, the environment variable is clobbered.  I didn't think that
would happen with the env_reset negated.

$ ./echo-env.tst
/usr/TKLC/plat/lib

$ sudo ./echo-env.tst

$

I haven't seen this mentioned in the archives (I could have missed it
however).  There was bug 430 that sounded promising but I looked at the
patch and it didn't make me think it was the same issue.  I haven't tried
the newest version of sudo yet but that is my next step unless you can point
me somewhere else first.

Thanks,
Joe