[sudo-users] Changing sudo default syslog facility

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Wed Feb 17 11:36:14 EST 2010

In message <3be30bc51002170811w1813e56eud98de011ed679c46 at mail.gmail.com>
	so spake Chuck (chuck.carson):

> Is there a way to change the default syslog facility that sudo uses?
> (running version  1.6.9p16) From what I gathered it uses local2.notice...

Sure.  A line like the following in sudoers:

    Defaults syslog=local2, syslog_badpri=alert, syslog_goodpri=notice

correctsponds to the default values.  Here are the relevant bits
from the sudoers man page:

   syslog      Syslog facility if syslog is being used for
	       logging (negate to disable syslog logging).
	       Defaults to local2.

   syslog_badpri   Syslog priority to use when user
		   authenticates unsuccessfully.  Defaults to
		   alert.

   syslog_goodpri  Syslog priority to use when user
		   authenticates successfully.  Defaults to
		   notice.

   When logging via syslog(3), sudo accepts the following
   values for the syslog facility (the value of the syslog
   Parameter): authpriv (if your OS supports it), auth,
   daemon, user, local0, local1, local2, local3, local4,
   local5, local6, and local7.  The following syslog
   priorities are supported: alert, crit, debug, emerg, err,
   info, notice, and warning.