[sudo-users] sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Thu Feb 25 16:21:17 EST 2010

Hello,

On ubuntu-9.10 with sudo-1.7.0, I have put the following line into my sudoers
file on server.my.domain:

 naclt ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/naclient

to allow execution of this program as root from remote hosts. So from the
remote host, I do

 /usr/bin/ssh -i /home/me/.ssh/naclt-dsa \
              -o "ServerAliveInterval 60" \
              -o "ServerAliveCountMax 3" \
              naclt at server.my.domain \
              /usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/naclient version

But sudo errors out:

 sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

Why is sudo trying to ask a password here? Did it not get the NOPASSWD
option?

This used to work perfectly fine with sudo-1.6.9.p17 and exactly the same
sudoers file on ubuntu-9.04.

Any ideas? Any workarounds?