[sudo-users] using localhost in sudoers

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Wed Jul 21 08:58:22 EDT 2010

Hi all,

How does "localhost" as Host_Alias in /etc/sudoers work?

E.g. gentoo sudo(ers) guide [1] states that the rule

swift localhost = /usr/bin/emerge

allows running emerge only if the user swift is logged in locally, i.e. not
through SSH. I don't think this is correct. AFAIU, the Host_Alias can not be
used to differentiate between users logged in locally and through ssh, but only
to restrict the rule to apply on machines where 'hostname'=='Host_Alias'
(useful if sudoers file is shared across several machines).

So, how is it?

I presume I'm not the first one to ask this question, but I wasn't able
to find any authoritative answer.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/sudo-guide.xml

Thanks in advance,

Petr