[sudo-users] using localhost in sudoers

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Wed Jul 21 09:58:50 EDT 2010

In message <20100721133934.GA23899 at foxbat.suse.cz>
	so spake Petr Uzel (petr.uzel):

> I'm curious: is it somehow possible to restrict some of the rules only
> to users logged locally?

What would you consider a local user?  If the user is logged in on
/dev/console or a virtual console tty this is easy to determine but
that's not the case for users logged in via a graphical login.

> Next, I think that the above is a common misunderstanding - maybe
> it should be mentioned in sudoers(5) and/or sudo FAQ ?

I'm not sure where this misconception comes from but I can add
something to the documentation to try and clear it up.