[sudo-users] Why is root in the sudoers file?

Mark Janssen maniac.nl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 21:06:05 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Nikolas Britton
<nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why is root in the sudoers file? Root can do anything because it has a
> UID of 0. So adding "root ALL=(ALL) ALL" to the sudoers file is

True... it's mostly pointless, but I think it's still useful for some
situations.

I have some scripts that use sudo inside the script. If these scripts
were to be run by root they would suddenly fail, because root wasn't
allowed to sudo, while a 'normal' user in these cases would.
If course, I'm making some things too easy for myself, but as you
said, root is already root, and running sudo again won't cause much
harm (and will log whatever command was run).

--
Mark Janssen  --  maniac(at)maniac.nl  --  pgp: 0x357D2178 |   ,''`.  |
Unix / Linux Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl |  : :' :  |