[sudo-users] sudo 1.7.4p4 - solaris 10 - edits with vi, visudo or sudoedit - display corrupted

Macleod, Paul paul.macleod at hp.com
Tue Jan 18 01:50:45 EST 2011

Hi All,

On Solaris 10 and running with Sudo version 1.7.4p4, have encountered a
feature with regards the use of 'vi', 'visudo' and 'sudoedit'.  That is to
say, it is possible within a few seconds of using the editor to get display
corruption.   When moving the cursor, characters from other lines / position
are displayed - the faith in editing the file is lost.

To re-create this, load the editor and simple navigate around using the
cursor keys.   Rapidly using left / right, with mix of up / down and within
a few seconds the display of the file becomes corrupted.

Has anyone seen this problem on Solaris 10, or other platforms?

My environment for sudo:-

Matching Defaults entries for macleodp on this host:

    env_keep+="LANG LANGUAGE LINGUAS LC_* _XKB_CHARSET", env_keep+=HOME,
env_keep+="XAPPLRESDIR

    XFILESEARCHPATH XUSERFILESEARCHPATH", logfile=/var/log/sudo.log,
lecture=never, listpw=never, log_output

Runas and Command-specific defaults for macleodp:

    Defaults!/usr/bin/sudoreplay !log_output

    Defaults!/usr/local/bin/sudoreplay !log_output

    Defaults!/sbin/reboot !log_output

User macleodp may run the following commands on this host:

    (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

At this point, it is worth noting that the feature only appears to be in
play if the "Defaults log_output"  is enabled.     When sudo isn't
configured for that we haven't seen the issue.

Log into the server, and use 'vi' as normal - all is fine, the problem isn't
made.

However edit files with such as the following, and the problem can be seen.

       visudo

sudoedit

sudo vi

Interestingly, if we use sudo to switch to an alternative user ( e.g.  sudo
su - root );  and then run vi in that shell; the problem can be seen as
well.

To show the sort of thing I'm seeing; the output of the standard
/etc/release file.   These are direct highlights, copy n paste from my putty
terminal session to the Solaris server.

                      Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC

           Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

                        Use is subject to license terms.

                           Assembled 16 September 2009

~
~

Now, I'll navigate around it with vi;  with sudo in play as described above.

So                    Solaris 10 10/09 s10s_u8wos_08a SPARC
sse   e    ll  Assembled 16 September 200rosystems, Inc.  All Rights
Reserved.                           o            S

rmt                     Use is subject to license terms.
00

  200                      Assembled 16 September 2009

~
~

Regards,

-Paul MacLeod.