[sudo-users] Problem with custom %group in /etc/sudoers on Linux (RHEL) 64bit

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Wed Jun 1 14:09:12 EDT 2011

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:54:45 EDT, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I just installed a new RHEL 5.5 x86_64 system and have encountered a
> problem with using a %group other than "wheel".
>
> Basically, when I add my own custom group, verify that the /etc/group is
> properly configured, it denies me.  It only works for group "wheel".

A user's supplementary groups as specified by /etc/group are set
at login so if you modify /etc/group those changes won't really
take effect until the next login.

Does the "id" program list you as being a member of that group?
E.g.

    $ id
    uid=500(millert) gid=500(millert) groups=10(wheel),500(millert)

If it does I would expect sudo to be treat you as a member of that
group as well.