[sudo-users] env_file and using variables

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 09:30:57 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm just trying out the env_file directive for the first time. I'd like
to be able to use $SUDO_USER in one of the variables set in this file,
since I can't guarantee that the target user's environment will be read.

Specifically, I want to include $SUDO_USER in the HISTFILE variable.
However, entries in this file are applied literally, so the HISTFILE
variable ends up containing '.bash_history.$SUDO_USER'.  I've tried
variations with no quotes, single and double quotes, and with 'export'
and without.

Is there a good way of setting this dynamically, or is it a lost cause
unless the target user's bashrc is used?

Thanks,
Simon.