[sudo-users] Sudo su - question

Mister V badvad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 06:10:57 EDT 2011

Hi Sudo group

This is a question to find the correct practice in regards to sudo usage.

I have recently been told sudo bash or sudo su - is bad practice and I
should refrain from using this. I am quite insulted by this since if I am
administrating a box or working on things that do require root I do not want
to keep adding sudo to all my commands.

So the question is for those who have developed it and to try to work out if
sudo command is actually the bad practice rather than sudo su -

I have come across this post which does point out the issues of running sudo
command rather than sudoing as root.

http://weblog.leapster.org/archives/130-Using-sudo-non-interactively-for-administration-is-potentially-harmful..html

I would guess there are arguments for and against this method. Could someone
more clued up give me their opinion?

Thanks