[sudo-users] "sudo" and "sudo -k" inconsistency?

Dominik Sander mail at dsander.de
Thu May 17 06:49:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

I would expect "sudo" and "sudo -k" to act the same way if no user
credentials are cached, either both prompt for a password or they
don't. But the exempt_group option of the sudoers file seems to mess
things up a bit.

Working normally:

Matching Defaults entries for dominik on this host:
     env_reset,
secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin

User dominik may run the following commands on this host:
     (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
     (ALL : ALL) ALL
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo -K
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo whoami
[sudo] password for dominik:
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo -k whoami
[sudo] password for dominik:

With exempt_group:

Matching Defaults entries for dominik on this host:
     env_reset, exempt_group=admin,
secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin

User dominik may run the following commands on this host:
     (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
     (ALL : ALL) ALL
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo -K
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo whoami
root
dominik at ubuntu ~ $$ sudo -k whoami
[sudo] password for dominik:

I am wondering, if this is working as excepted and if so, why is it the
case, I wasn't able to find any documentation on the exempt_group option
working differently for "sudo -k".

regards,

Dominik