[sudo-users] Add sudo to ESXi 5.1

phoebus phoebus frphoebus at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 5 14:24:43 MST 2013

Todd,

>>You might try the CentOS 4 binaries from http://www.sudo.ws/download.html

Thanks for this information. It's works. i did some rough-trimming so i can progress to do the right things now.

>>Cross-compiling should not be too difficult if you need to go that route.
I'll take a look in this method also when i finish with the first one.

>> It seems that ESXi 5.1 allows you to give administrator rights to user accounts so they don't see the need to have sudo.
>> http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/09/vsphere-5-1-full-admin-support-for-named-user-accounts.html
We work with a supplier which don't want to have full root access (separate responsibility) and we and hime need to do some automatisation with a lot of ESXi free boxes. Unfortunately, it's not possible to have write access with Vshpere SDK due to free license access. So the low cost solution is to use ssh access with Vshere CLI to do the task ( snapshots, revert, ...).

Anyway, i'll send information to the community (sudoers part) when i'll do the job is someone is interested.

Phoebus