[sudo-users] sudo -l semantics

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 04:25:20 MST 2013

Having an application using sudo to run some specific commands, I would
like to warn the user if the current configuration doesn't allow her to
do what she want.

sudo -l seems to be designed for this.  I could just run "sudo -l <some
command>"  and get a yes/no return status.

However, it doesn't work for this purpose(?). If the command isn't
allowed, I get a "sudo password" prompt. I could add a  -n flag, which
will give me a return status reflecting if user can run command without
a  password. But I can't figure out a way to test if a user can run a
given command with or without a password.

I'm on fedora, sudo version 1.8.6p7.

Any thoughts out there?

--alec