[sudo-users] [BUG] Another system (solaris 10 sparc) requires --disable-pie flag

Christian Jullien eligis at orange.fr
Sun May 12 23:24:21 MDT 2013

Hi maintainers,

>From several releases now, sudo failed to launch either with core dump or no
memory available.
Yesterday I had time to investigate, I found this thread "1.8.6p3
plugins/visudo and plugins/testsudoers segfault on FreeBSD-10 ia64
(Itanium)" that pointed me the culprit: PIE.

A configure --disable-pie lets me run again sudo/visudo.

My config is:

- UltraSparc 5 with solaris 10 u11
- gcc 4.8
- 512Mb main memory
- all gnu tools up to date.

Hope it helps to improve sudo.

FYI I have many other packages using PIE and no issue with them.

Christian