[sudo-users] Sudo with PEP (Privilege Extension Prevention)

Christopher Racky christopher.racky at web.de
Sun Jan 5 05:25:32 MST 2014

   Hallo Todd,

   Thanks for your feedback and email.
   The SHA-2 digest is a good concept, but in larger setups (as ours) it
   is -to be honest- very unrealistic.
   For example: We use sudo with LDAP backend on a set of very different
   Operating Systems, plattforms and Versions (like solaris 9, 10, 11...,
   AIX, Red Hat..., Debian, ...).
   So it would require that for each plattform and each binary a digest
   would be generated which would generate a very complex sudo ruleset and
   a lot of processes and organizational activites.

   I see the race-condition between time of validation and time of use. On
   the other hand you have something similar between retrieval form LDAP
   and executing on local system...
   So never the less, I'm still convinced, that this "Privilege Extension
   Prevention" concept would be very helpfull also in bigger setups and
   significantly increases the system security from operation point of
   view.
   A lot of administrators are quite lazy, and often they forget to set
   the correct file permissions, so this functionality would force them to
   work more "secure".
   Do you think that this functionality can be added in future releases?

   Best regards
   Chris