[sudo-users] Request to release new version of sudo to support new architecture ppc64le

rajesh rajesh at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jan 9 05:29:25 MST 2014

Hi

We are adding support for new ppc64le (IBM powerPC Little Endian)
architecture. I was looking at the package sudo from the latest release
tarball (http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/dist/sudo-1.8.9.tar.gz ) and the source
from (http://www.sudo.ws/repos/sudo) and it failed to build the package
on ppc64le machine because of outdated libtool and config.guess . since
currently available libtool and config.guess does not have support for
ppc64le it fails to generate the shared libraries and fails to guess
correct build type respectively.

Latest config.guess with ppc64le support is available at :
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD

Latest libtool alpha source release which has the required fixes related
to ppc64le can be picked from either of the
below :
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.gz   (1.6MB)
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.xz   (920KB)

I verified building the package after updating the config.guess and
picking the alpha libtool mentioned above and it built fine in ppc64le
platform.
Would it be possible to spin up a newer version of sudo for the distros
to pick up from the upstream, which would support ppc64le by picking the
alpha libtool and update your config.guess as indicated above.

I can help to validate the new release of the package works well by
compiling on ppc64le machine.

Appreciate your response

Thanks and Regards
Rajeshkumar S