[sudo-users] Rotating logs

Leroy Tennison leroy at datavoiceint.com
Tue Aug 4 11:18:56 MDT 2015

I have an older Linux version and sudo doesn't have the maxseq option. I also don't have the option of upgrading in the short term. Could manipulating the contents of /var/log/sudo-io/ seq accomplish the same thing until an upgrade can be done?

Second, on a newer machine (for testing) I used:

Defaults maxseq=6

in /etc/sudoers which worked but I noticed maxseq is listed under string parameters (even though it says a decimal value should be used). Should I use "Defaults maxseq=6" or "Defaults maxseq='000006' " or is either acceptable?

(BTW, this is a nice feature since logrotate isn't oriented toward directory rotation).

Finally, after doing the above I tried to modify maxseq to be 400 but it didn't have any effect even if I rebooted the device. I ended up removing maxseq, logging out, logging back in (and using sudo -i) then re-adding maxseq to get the change to be implemented. Is this value being stored somewhere else that should be modified as well?

Thanks for the help.

Confidentiality Notice | This email and any included attachments may be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized.  If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.