[sudo-users] aix sudo 1.8.11-2 with defaults of mail_always in /etc/sudoers also mails sudo -l access; older version did not

Sharon Hawthorne Sharon.Hawthorne at sharp.com
Wed Jan 21 10:41:20 MST 2015

Thank you for your response. I wasn't able to reproduce either, when I went back versions and tested hard. Possibly a different behavior of the vendor scripts, or an interim sudo version I built, although I usually try to use the binaries.

I have made a workaround for the users whose jobs are doing the repetitive sudo -l, by replacing mail_always by "mail_no_perms, mail_no_host, mail_badpass" and duplicating the Cmnd_Alias, less the commands on which we don't want mail, and adding mail_always for only those commands. I can't make 2 independent Cmnd_Aliases, since the same vendor scripts search for "their" Cmnd_Alias in a clunky way.

A similar construct to: Defaults!/usr/bin/grep  !mail_always would be better that would work for sudo -l but doesn't seem possible, unless I'm missing a trick.

As a feature, it would be nice to be able to apply a Defaults statement to a command or command alias AND a user/userlist, but it's clear from the documentation that it's not allowed -- probably wouldn't make sense to parse.

Just one of thousands who very much appreciate you work on sudo.

- Sharon