[sudo-users] uid switching vs resource limits

Teodor Milkov tm at del.bg
Wed Jun 17 06:33:24 MDT 2015

Thanks for your time and effort!

This might also be due to interaction with grsecurity kernel patch,
which I use.

There's this part in it:

+ /* Handle the case where a fork and setuid occur and then RLIMIT_NPROC
+    is changed to a lower value.  Since tasks can be created by the same
+    user in between this limit change and an execve by this task, force
+    a recheck only for this task by setting PF_NPROC_EXCEEDED
+ */
+ if (resource == RLIMIT_NPROC && tsk->real_cred->user != INIT_USER)
+     tsk->flags |= PF_NPROC_EXCEEDED;

I see similar reports popping here and there:

  http://www.codehelper.org/2015/03/perm_root-setresuid0-1-1-too-many-processes-cpanel-fix/
  http://forum.centos-webpanel.com/how-to/how-to-enable-sudo-command/
  http://www.listekconsulting.com/articles/sudo-too-many-processes/

With people just disabling resource limits as a workaround.