[sudo-users] Using shell variables in Command Alias Definitions

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at chevron.com
Tue Nov 17 08:11:31 MST 2015

I don't think variables are expanded inside the sudoers file.

Your best option is probably to write a wrapper script.  Inside the script, you can use the $SUDO_USER variable that sudo injects into the environment to get the calling username.

Something like "php-fpm-manager.sh", put it somewhere handy, make sure it's not writable by  non-admins.

--------------------
#!/bin/bash
# you might want to do argument checking here..
arg=$1

# SUDO_USER is set to the calling user's userid.
/bin/systemctl $arg php5-fpm@${SUDO_USER}.service

Then your command aliases would look like:

Cmnd_Alias PHPFPMRESTART = /whatever/php-fpm-manager.sh restart
Cmnd_Alias PHPFPMSTART = /whatever/php-fpm-manager.sh start
... etc..