[sudo-users] bad adjusted output on the display when using directive use_pty

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Sun Sep 18 09:15:01 MDT 2016

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 13:25:52 -0000, george Nopicture wrote:

> I am on a linux terminal, no X nor Wayland sessions neither a
> graphical login. When on standard tty the $TERM is normally set to
> linux and when on tmux $TERM is set to screen.

I see, now you are on the console.  I'm not able to reproduce this
with a virtual machine but it may be that the VM console behaves
differently.

I want to make sure that I understand exactly what you are seeing.
When you so things in the shell or run a command does the output
look similar to:

[user at host]%ls
              file   another  file
				    [user at host]%ls

Where the next line continues near the last column of the previous
line?  If so, can you send me:

1) the output of "stty -a" without tmux or sudo
2) the output of "stty -a" inside tmux without sudo
3) the output of "stty -a" inside tmux in a sudo shell with use_pty set

That should help me determine whether the problem is related to the
terminal settings having to do with newline handling.  I'd expect
to see differences in some of the post-processing options such as
opost, onlcr, ocrnl, onocr, or onlret.