[sudo-users] sudo remove -s and -i option

Paul Cantle paul at cantle.me
Wed Aug 23 08:37:40 MDT 2017

Hi,

Plenty unless you specify NOEXEC in sudoers – vi, vim, less, awk and probably others.

Examples:

sudo awk 'BEGIN {system("/bin/sh")}' – will give a root shell
sudo vim <esc> :sh – will give a root shell

if people need to be able to edit files as root sudoedit or sudo –e is a safer option.

I cannot stress enough that this isn’t the way to go – Really, you should just limit the commands that people need to execute as root and not mess with the sudo program itself.

Just my 2c

Rgds
Paul