[sudo-users] When having multiple simultanious SSH connections, only the first two can `sudo`

Manuel Wagesreither ManWag at FastMail.FM
Wed Dec 13 11:38:38 MST 2017

> I'm not sure why sudo is not asking for a password for the other
> two ptys.  Unless there is an entry in the timestamp file that has
> not yet expired, you should be prompted for a password, even if the
> password field in /etc/shadow is empty.

Why is that? I thought a empty password in /etc/passwd meant "don't ask for a password" or "accept an empty string as password". What would need to be entered if this prompt showed up?

> If you never want to have to authenticate with a password, why not
> just disable authentication in sudo entirely?  A line like:
>
> Defaults !authenticate
>
> in /etc/sudoers will do the trick.

This worked indeed!

Thanks!