[sudo-users] how sudo handles $HOME

Dan Streetman dan.streetman at canonical.com
Thu May 16 05:48:40 MDT 2019

Good question.

I've cc'ed sudo-users, so the question to the upstream sudo list can
be summarized as:
How likely would it be for upstream sudo to add HOME to env_keep by default?

We ask because Ubuntu carries a patch that adds HOME to env_keep,
unlike the default upstream, or any other Linux/Unix.  We are
considering removing that patch, to match upstream defaults, of *not*
including HOME in env_keep.

More details are in this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/1556302