[sudo-users] Sudoedit umask confusion

asymptosis asymptosis at posteo.net
Wed Sep 11 17:41:22 MDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 04:27:39PM -0600, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> One big difference between sudo and sudoedit is that sudoedit runs
> the editor with as few changes to the execution environment as
> possible.  Currently, the umask is not changed to match the value
> in sudoers, but it really should be.
>
> I've just committed a change to that effect:
>     https://www.sudo.ws/repos/sudo/rev/4d0b6152834b

Thanks! I appreciate the quick patch submission.

After posting I realised it must be because sudoedit invokes the editor
with the user's usual environment, and forgets to impose the sudoers config
when copying the completed edit.

Now I need to be patient until a new sudo version is released, so that my
distros will pick up the change :)