[sudo-users] LDAP Password Security

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at sudo.ws
Tue Apr 7 08:50:53 MDT 2020

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 14:25:34 -0000, LE BOUTER Leo wrote:

> I was comparing sudo to how SSO would work on the web.
> SSO on the web uses an Identity Server that only gives a service
> specific temporary token, not the user's password.  Here, users
> have to give their password to each server that has sudo installed.

On most systems, sudo uses PAM for authentication.  You can configure
it to use a different authentication method by editing the sudo PAM
configuration.  Usually this is stored in /etc/pam.d/sudo.

There are a variety of PAM modules that support different SSO
schemes.  For example, pam_totp can be used with time-based one-time
password systems.

Sudo 1.9.0 will support an additional approval plugin which could
be used to implement separate authentication or approval schemes,
but I think you can achieve what you want with just the PAM
configuration.