[sudo-users] Restricting / Limiting permission/ownership of targetted binaries?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Apr 30 10:58:30 MDT 2021

On 4/30/21 10:56 AM, Grant Taylor via sudo-users wrote:
> I think that the permissions of the target binary are a second order
> concern that enables the first order concern of changing the target
> binary, even if the new target binary has the same permissions as the
> old target binary.

This is where the hash of the target binary comes into play as
protection against it being changed out.

Technically I suppose it is theoretically possible to replace the old
target binary with a new target binary that has the same hash value.
But hash collisions are non-trivial and you have to really want to
expend the effort.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die