visudo enhancement to edit-syntax-check arbitrary files

Bob Proulx rwp at hprwp.fc.hp.com
Fri Dec 14 16:02:27 EST 2001

Alek wrote:
>         - The Makefile is created with "-g" ... I would suggest that this
>           NOT be the default in the distribution (although I realize this
>           makes it easier for Todd with his development work).

The configure script is generated by autoconf and it is true of all
autoconf generated configured scripts that the default is -g which
follows GNU Project guidelines.  However you can easily provide any
particular combination of compiler flags that you prefer.  The
following are examples.

  CFLAGS='-O' ./configure

Or in my case I usually use the following.

  CC=cc CFLAGS='-O +DAportable +DS2.0' ./configure

Bob