wishlist: sudo -l in more useful format

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Sun Dec 16 12:22:45 EST 2001

In message <20011216150522.A24623 at zipperii.zip.com.au>
	so spake Matthew Hannigan (mlh):

> 1. At the moment, sudo -l prints out things
> differently if the commands are part of
> a Cmnd_Alias, compared to if the commands
> are listed individually.   It would be nice
> to have them use the same format.  This makes
> it easy to compare outputs.  Also the individual
> listings are nice for the user to be able to copy
> and paste.  This is especially useful if the
> command string is long.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Are you saying
you would like the commands listed one per line?

> 2. It would be nice for "sudo -l" to prepend
> "sudo .." to the line.  Again this is for ease
> of copying and pasting.   It would be especially
> useful for runas commands.
>
> i.e. sudo -l would give
> 	sudo -u lp lpcancel
> instead of
> 	(lp) lpcancel
>
> or whatever it is at the moment (I'm away from
> my work machine)

That doesn't work too well when there are multiple runas users.

The format of 'sudo -l' is intended to be close to that of /etc/sudoers.
Perhaps a different option is needed for a cut & paste version.