sudo and X11 clients

Anthony R Iano-Fletcher Anthony.Iano-Fletcher at cbel.cit.nih.gov
Wed May 29 14:05:01 EDT 2002

Hello,

	Has anyone given any thoughts to using sudo to run X11 clients?
If one is sudo-ing to root then its easy. You can just create a new
xauthority file in a place that root can read (say /var/tmp) containing
the correct X11 cookies.

How about non-root users? Transferring the information is difficult to
keep secure.

Currently we use ssh to deal with this but recently we have users that
need to use special non-root accounts and X11 clients. Sudo would be
perfect except for the X issue.

I looked in the archives but found nothing. Maybe I missed it.

			Anthony.

Anthony R Iano-Fletcher        Anthony.Iano-Fletcher at nih.gov
                               http://cbel.cit.nih.gov/~arif
                               CBEL, CIT, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA.