[sudo-workers] ldap and password

Brian L Farrell blfarrell at ra.rockwell.com
Mon Aug 23 09:01:39 EDT 2004

Markus,

Since this is in the PAM code, did you check other account validations
that may be required such as base UNIX or other validations that may be
required in your environment?

The basic point is that it may not be LDAP that is causing the problem as
with PAM you can stack authentication and validation procedures.   The
pam_authenticate procedure is for the authentication such as password
validation.  The pam_acct_mgmt verifies validity of the account.  It is
this validity checking where you seem to be having problems.  In the pam
configuration files the validity (pam_acct_mgmt calls) check the "account"
lines in your pam configuration (/etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d/{sudo, or
system-auth}) for what rules to follow.

You indicated earlier that you were ok logging into ldap for mail.  Do you
do host authentication and session validation with ldap as well?  If so
can you log into the system using ssh or other tools?   Most likely sudo
will follow similar authentication and sessions validation that a normal
login does unless you configure PAM otherwise.

Brian Farrell

Markus Rennings <news at rennings.net>
Sent by: sudo-workers-bounces at courtesan.com
08/20/2004 04:24 PM