Ldif format

Howard Owen hbo at egbok.com
Sun May 23 22:06:42 EDT 2004

Those are both good reasons, IMHO. It's neither "security through
obscurity" or false security to keep the number of headaches caused by
novice, root-enabled users to a minimum by putting a small barrier in
their way. Sometimes small is good enough.

I also have no problem with expressing a policy of "no root shells" by
using the '!SHELLS' syntax. If you take the position that nothing is
going to stop a determined and/or knowledgeable insider from gaining
root and evading your audit trail, then the nonexistent technical
barrier such sudoers entries provide is consistent with that view.
What's makes it tricky is the near certainty that someone who matters in
management is going to look at that and think that it really does
provide what it seems to: assurance that privileged users can't run
unaudited shells. On vanilla Linux/Unix, there's actually no way to
prevent that, with or without sudo, as far as I know.

Perhaps it would be good to provide the ability to express constructs
like these in the LDAP schema? After all, plain 'ol sudoers still lets
you do this. I imagine the capability hasn't been removed because too
many folks rely on it.

--
Howard Owen                      "Even if you are on the right
EGBOK Consultants                 track, you'll get run over if you