[sudo-workers] [Patch] Ability to communicate to a frontend

Hongli Lai h.lai at chello.nl
Fri Jan 28 10:20:56 EST 2005

Todd C. Miller wrote:
> It seems to me that you don't really need any extra file descriptors,
> just a simple protocol run over fds 0 and 1.

I've thought about this. What if you want to run the child process in
the same console as the parent process? Using fd 0 and 1 makes that
impossible, unless you keep the parent process in memory and manually
redirect all output to the console. But that'll still cause problems for
apps that do special things with the console (such as ncurses apps).
You'll end up having to write an entire terminal emulator, which is
exactly what I want to avoid.