[sudo-workers] sudo+ldap and ldap.conf

Andrea Barisani lcars at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 14 14:13:46 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:09:53AM -0700, Aaron Spangler wrote:
> There are several options:
>
> Option 1:
> On systems with nscd (such as Linux & Solaris), NSCD starts up as root
> on boot, so you can chmod 600 /etc/ldap.conf and even non-root
> processes will be able to query Name service information (via libc->
> getXXbyYY -> nscd (root out of process) -> nss_ldap).  Also pam_ldap
> is usually called as root anyway via daemon processes.  So you can
> have a perfectly happy system that uses the built in nscd api to get
> the name service information.

Honestly this is *really* ugly, and nscd is not always used due to security
concerns. Also nscd is a caching system, I'm not sure that what you are
proposing would work.

> The only drawback is that if nscd dies the system will have problems.
> I have seen many solaris systems that run for months without reboot
> using nscd exclusively.  Another *slight* drawback is that nscd
> typically provides information for three types of entries, user,
> group, and host.  If you are using netgroups via ldap, then you might
> need to do the split file approach.

Yes...as I said it's fugly imho ;)

> Option 2:
> If you are not using nss_ldap (but only using pam_ldap) you can still
> have the file 600 since pam generally requires all authentications be
> done by root (to access /etc/shadow or equivilent for example).  We
> have one very large client with about 650 systems running like this.

True, but as I said we are using nss_ldap as well and that's likely to be the
case.

> Option 3:
> Use the split file approach you already documented earlier via the
> -DLDAP_CONFIG option.

Yes that was my workaround and indeed it is documented in README.LDAP but I
think you should stress more about this problem security_wise, simply showing
that you can redefine the conf doesn't show the security aspect of this issue.

Also don't you think that making sudo+ldap rootdn aware could be a good
option? (/etc/ldap.secret mode 600)

Cheers