[sudo-workers] How to know if running a given command requires password confirmation a priori?

Gustavo Noronha Silva kov at debian.org
Tue Jun 28 15:35:53 EDT 2005

[Please CC-me, I'm not subscribed]

Hey,

I'm the author of a small library called libgksu
(http://www.nongnu.org/gksu) which works as a frontend for both su and
sudo. I need to know before actually trying it if I will need password
confirmation to run a given command.

I can easily try out if general password confirmation is needed by
running 'sudo -v', but NOPASSWD cases are not covered by this check, of
course. I found 'sudo -l' very useful for this purpose but it requires
password confirmation, itself, which I would like to avoid on this case.

What I need is a way to tell if 'sudo /bin/ls', for example, will ask
for a password or not before actually calling it. Would a patch to add a
command-line switch to fulfill that duty be considered?

Thanks,

--
kov at debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>