[sudo-workers] sudo 1.8.2rc11 available
Todd C. Miller
Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Thu Aug 11 16:32:58 EDT 2011
A new release candidate for sudo version 1.8.2 is now available.
Sudo 1.8.2 features NLS support. Currently, sudo has been translated
into Basque, Chinese (simplified), Danish, Finish, Polish, Russian
and Ukranian. For more information, see http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/nls.html
If you would like to contribute a translation for sudo, please join
a translation team at the Translation Project instead of contributing
a po file directly. This will avoid duplicated work if there is
already a translation in progress. For details, see
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc10 and 1.8.2rc11:
* Regenerated configure with autoconf 2.68 and libtool 2.4.
* Rename libsudoers convenience library to libparsesudoers to avoid
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc9 and 1.8.2rc10:
* New Danish sudoers translation from translationproject.org.
* Updated Finish, Polish, Russian and Ukrainian translations from
* The "runas_default" setting in LDAP-enabled sudoers works correctly
again when specified in a sudoRole other than "defaults".
This stopped working in sudo 1.7.0.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc8 and 1.8.2rc9:
* Added new Russian sudo translation and updated Chinese
(simplified), Finish, Polish and Ukranian translations from
* The sudo front end now escapes the command args for "sudo -i"
and "sudo -s" before calling the plugin instead of after.
Otherwise, spaces in the command args cannot be handled properly.
The sudoers plugin will unescape non- spaces to make matching
* Fixed some potential problems found by the clang static analyzer,
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc7 and 1.8.2rc8:
* Updated Polish translation from translationproject.org.
* Fixed a crash in the sudoers plugin when trying to run a command
as a non-existent user if Linux audit support is enabled.
* The fallback group matching code in sudoers is no longer needed
and has been removed.
* On Mac OS X, getgrouplist() is used by the sudo front-end
to get the invoking user's group list instead of getgroups().
As a result, the sudoers plugin no longer needs to use
mbr_check_membership() as group matching can be done by name
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc6 and 1.8.2rc7:
* New Polish translation from translationproject.org.
* Several fixes have been made to the new group matching code in
* "sudo -i command" now works correctly with bash version 2.x at
the expense of bash 1.x support.
* Fixed an off-by-one error introduced in the new word wrap code
for file logging.
* RHEL 4 packages are no longer built with --with-pam-login since
we don't ship an /etc/pam.d/sudo-i file for that release.
* Fixed a build error when the --without-noexec configure option
* The "noexec" feature is now disabled by default for AIX 4.x and
lower; LDR_PRELOAD support is only available in AIX 5.3 and above.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc5 and 1.8.2rc6:
* When matching groups in the sudoers file, sudo will now match
based on the name of the group instead of the group ID. This can
substantially reduce the number of group lookups for sudoers
files that contain a large nummber of groups.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc4 and 1.8.2rc5:
* "sudo -i command" now works correctly with the bash shell.
Previously, the .bash_profile would not be sourced prior to
running the command unless bash was built with
Many Linux distributions build bash with this option enabled.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc3 and 1.8.2rc4:
* The "use_pty" sudoers option is now correctly passed back to the
sudo front end. This was missing in previous versions of sudo
1.8 which prevented "use_pty" from being honored.
* New Danish translation and updated Chinese (simplified)
translation from translationproject.org.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc2 and 1.8.2rc3:
* The SHELL environment variable is now preserved by default
when "sudo -s" is run.
* When installing /etc/sudoers via binary package on non-RPM and
non-Debian systems, the owner and mode are now set explicitly
in the postinstall script instead of relying on "cp -p".
On AIX 6.1 at least, the postinstall script runs before
permissions are set on files in the root part of the package.
* Locale files are now removed by "make uninstall".
* Added Basque translation from translation.org and updated
Finish and Ukranian translations.
* Plugins are now loaded with RTLD_GLOBAL instead of RTLD_LOCAL.
This fixes problems with, e.g., PAM modules not having
access to symbols provided by libpam on some platforms.
Affects FreeBSD and SLES at least.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.2rc1 and 1.8.2rc2:
* Sudo now includes NLS translations for Finish, Ukrainian and
* I/O logging is now supported for commands run in background mode
(using sudo's -b flag).
* Visudo now checks the contents of an alias and warns about cycles
when the alias is expanded.
* If the user specifes a group via sudo's -g option that matches
the target user's group in the password database, it is now
allowed even if no groups are present in the Runas_Spec.
Major changes between sudo 1.8.1p2 and 1.8.2rc1:
* Added a workaround for a FreeBSD bug with dlopen() and non-standard
* Sudo, visudo, sudoreplay and the sudoers plug-in now have natural
language support (NLS). Sudo will use gettext(), if available,
to display translated messages. This can be disabled by passing
configure the --disable-nls option.
* Group ownership of the sudoers file is only enforced when the file
mode on sudoers allows group readability or writability.
* The sudo Makefiles now have more complete dependencies which are
automatically generated instead of being maintained manually.
More information about the sudo-workers