[sudo-workers] man page description of always_set_home

Dalibor Pospíšil dapospis at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 12:14:57 MDT 2019

Hello,
I had really hard time to fully understand the description of always_set_home option.

Current description is following:
"If enabled, sudo will set the HOME environment variable to the home directory of the target user (which is root unless the -u option is used).  This effectively means that the -H option is always implied.
Note that by default, HOME will be set to the home directory of the target user when the env_reset option is enabled, so always_set_home only has an effect for configurations where either env_reset is disabled or HOME is present in the env_keep list.  This flag is off by default."

I tried to come up with something a bit undestandable and after review of our technical writer we produced following:
"If enabled, sudo sets the HOME environment variable to the home directory of the target user (which is root user unless the -u option is used). This effectively means that the -H option is always implied.
Note that by default, HOME is set to the home directory of the target user when the env_reset option is enabled. If env_reset is disabled or HOME is present in the env_keep list, then the always_set_home option overrides it. This flag is set to off by default."

Would this new wording be acceptable for you?

Regards,
Dalibor