[sudo-workers] Uncompromising password feedback

Andrew Thorp andrew.thorp.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:31:06 MDT 2020

Hello all,

I recently thought about the need for password input feedback that
wouldn't compromise the length of your passphrase. My proposal is to
have the password input be shown as a single special character. Every
keystroke changes the character, and deleting the whole passphrase
buffer clears the character from the screen.

This involves adding an option to indicate you want to show secure
feedback, adding an additional condition/input loop to `getln` in
tgetpass.c, as well as documentation updates.

This is something I'm considering writing, but before I spent the time
I'd appreciate the community's feedback. Is this something that has
been tried before? Is this something that would be considered
adoptable?

Cheers,

Andrew Thorp
keybase.io/awildthorp